Sunday 4 July 2010

Words

Deprived of something, lacking something you need, bereaved ... a few ways to define 'bereft' and none of which strike me as particularly funny. When you feel bereft you also know it, and that isn't funny either. However, during a recent rip-roaring sobbing session when I stated between sniffs (actually they were probably snorts) that I felt so bereft, Little Blister laughed. Quietly. She confessed her wickedness to me tonight. Then laughed. Again.

Funnily enough, it made me laugh too (which feels a whole lot better than sniffing or snorting) and it made me realise that some words can never truly be understood until you feel them. I have never before used the word bereft in relation to my own feelings and pray that I never have to again, but there is something quite rewarding about discovering the exquisite power of a word to so perfectly describe a feeling, to get a deeper understanding beyond its literal definition. Incidentally, 'exquisite' is another word I have felt. I first felt it (cue laughter) when I heard Aled Jones sing Pie Jesu many years ago.

The list of words I love the most are words that have touched my heart, making me appreciate them so much more. And so 'bereft' has been duly added to the list. Along with the word Sister. For making me laugh again.

yours in hope and fear, AJ x

No comments:

Post a Comment